Saturday, November 14, 2009

Thank You ES2007S

As the title of my blog suggests, I have 2 objectives for this module and this was discussed in my very first blog post. The first objective, about managing my time effectively for 6 modules, has been challenging because ES2007S was more time-consuming than expected. Nevertheless, what I have learnt regarding professional communication more than fulfills my second objective, and it justifies the time and effort spent.

The blogging assignments have been a love-hate affair. I always hate writing because I tend to take a long time brainstorming and translating my thoughts into words. This has been the same case when writing my blog posts. However, I am grateful for these assignments as they geared me up for the ultimate task – proposal writing. What I benefited the most is that I have learnt to write more fluently and follow the 7Cs closely. Furthermore, I realized that I could write reports more efficiently and effectively for projects and labs outside this module.

It always feels rejuvenating to work with motivated and capable people, like when I collaborated with Ivan and Sarah for Proposal Writing. Thanks to the facilitation by Ivan, our meetings were always purposeful and gave me a clear direction of what to work on next. Not only that, we could actively learn from one another when applying the various skills and techniques, from conducting an interview to the 7Cs of written communication. Although sometimes I did feel out of place in front of the love birds =), I really treasure the experience of working with them.

My learning in this course has been enhanced by the constant and valuable feedback given by Brad and everyone else in the class. The comments on my blog posts, peer review on my application letter and interview, comments on Wiki, and feedback after my Peer Teaching and Oral Presentation were truly insightful and helpful. It felt great to know that my classmates were showing interest and concern in my assignments.

I want to end off by saying a big THANK YOU to Brad and all 11 of you. You have made ES2007S an enjoyable and fruitful experience for me.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Xiang Min,

    I had the same problem with writing too; the brainstorming really took up a substantial time. Anyway, I don't hate writing, just that there's a deadline to meet, and so writing becomes a strain when I can't think of anything to start with. Coming back to your post, I think you wrote well for your blogposts and usually with limited grammatical errors. And congratulations on your greater efficiency in writing reports outside this module, and for being able to juggle six modules (wow!).

    It's great knowing you and working with you for the peer teaching. And thanks for all the valuable feedback you gave me for my blogposts, especially my job application letter.

    All the best for your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Xiang Ming,

    I think I am just like you! I hate writing and I honestly think writing has always been a pain in my ass ever since I came into university. BUT I know writing is something part and parcel of my academic life and I cannot escape it. Hence I am quite thankful for this module for 'forcing' me to think more critically and write with more substance in all my blog posts or even, the proposal! Although this course did not make me love writing more, at least it improved my writing skills by a lot! E.g. We were taught the 7Cs of writing.

    You have also been a capable team member and it was a joy to work with you as you were cooperative with us!

    All the best in your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Xiang Min,

    I am having difficulties with 5 modules and you are actually coping with 6! Wow!

    I have the same feeling towards the blogging assignments! (I have quite a short-term memory and I often find myself brainstorming for ages.) However, these assignments give me a much needed writing exercise which is almost of non-existent in my Statistics course work. Like you, I have also felt the improvement in my writing skills. (Thankfully.)

    Like what you have mentioned, of all the projects I have ever done, the meetings for the proposal were always meaningful and efficient. It saves a lot of time.

    Thanks for your comments, feedbacks and the help rendered as a blogging buddy. (Although I think I under-utilized you as one. Haha. Ooops!)

    All the best!
    Chee Siang

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Xiang Min, for bearing with us despite your heavy load. I guess time management would be a big issue. I'm glad that you came to see the value in the blogging and in the other assignments that involved writing. You have quite a flair for writing, actually, and with the 7Cs in your tool kit, you should have a much better time at it.

    I really do appreciate all your effort this term. Keep up the effort and best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Xiang Min,

    High 5! I'm taking 6 modules tooo!! Gosh, if only had known sooner, then could we could have complained about the tough workloads together over drinks :D haha!

    Wished that I could have talked to you more in class as I didn't really get to know you well, so hope to keep in touch somehow. Do you have a personal blog?

    All the best for your many numerous (is it 5 or lesser?) exams!

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Xiang Min!!! Thanks for saying how much you love to work with me!!! I guess I would be a even better team leader if I wasn’t such a slave driver right? Ha! Similarly, I am taking six modules and most of my modules require write-ups, respectively a 25-page scientific research report, and a write-up on a scientific review. * Faint * Quite crappy when you have the deadlines all due on the same week! Oh well, what’s done is done and what’s over is over. Now it is time for us to have a full burst for our finals! =)

    I really enjoy working with you, given the fact that you are a hardworking fellow member and we will never have any outstanding work. Perhaps due to the fact that we are both ‘cock-talkers’, our communication seems to be quite smooth and undisturbed. A good thing I suppose, and I always felt that you are a good writer, as mentioned by Brad.

    Thank you, for being a nice friend and a great team member! Don’t erase my handphone number, otherwise I’ll come and haunt you every night! XD

    Regards,
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Xiangmin!
    Why you use the same colour format as me for the blogs! Hahaha great minds think alke huh.

    Haha you cannot blame the lovebirds. They have so much telepathy and a strong electric field around them. Haha! I am sure you made great contributions to the team dude.

    Of course we are all concerned about you Xiangmin. Right class? I am glad you have learnt a lot from this module too!

    Thanks too for being a great classmate and take care!

    Ken Jie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Xiang Min!

    Me too!! I take forever writing a post, mainly because I tend to exceed the word count by A LOT, and have to edit to make them shorter. But I guess that was good exercise for me because I gradually learnt to write more concisely!

    What KenJie said about the electric field is so funny.. But I felt you collaborated really well with the lovebirds too!

    Anyway it has been great having you in class and in cyber-class! I am taking six modules too.. But I am soooo glad that ES2007s is NON-EXAMINABLE~~ something about those two words just sounds so festive and happy huh?

    Thank you for all the feedback, it was great working with you and thinking of weird questions during the mock interview! I wish you all the best in the upcoming finals, and I really hope that we do get to meet up after that!

    Xo,
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow....I didn't know the few of you are also overloading this semester. Let's give a pat on our backs.

    Most of you agree that writing blogs regularly has helped to improved your writing skills. Like the saying goes, "Practice makes perfect."

    Thank you all for the comments. Once again, you have moved my heart in showing interest and concern in my post.

    ReplyDelete